Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Vintage Mysteries

I will read these mysteries for the Vintage Mystery Bingo Reading Challenge 2014. The challenge is to read 6 or more Vintage Mysteries. All novels must have been originally written before 1960 and be from the mystery category.

1. Color in the Title: Blues for the Prince – Bart Spicer, 1950. My review is here.
2. Published under more than one title:  The Rubber Band aka To Kill Again – Rex Stout, 1936. My review is here.
3. Spooky title: Death Comes to Perigord – John Ferguson, 1931. My review is here.
4, An Author You’ve Read Before: The Golden Spiders – Rex Stout, 1953. My review is here.
5. With a Detective Team: The Case of the Calendar Girl – Erle Stanley Gardner, 1958. My review is here.
6. Animal in the Title: The Beast Must Die – Nicholas, Blake, 1938. My review is here.

May 9, 2014 - that's a bingo - all first row.

7. Set outside UK or US: Engaged to Murder – M. V. Heberden, 1940. My review is here.
8. Number in the title: The Three Couriers – Compton Mackenzie. My review is here.
9. Made into a Movie/TV Episode: The Case of the  Buried Clock- Erle Stanley Gardner, 1942.My review is here.
10. Courtroom, lawyer, judge: According to the Evidence – Henry Cecil, 1954. My review is here.
11. Time, day, month in title: Rose’s Last Summer - Margaret Millar, 1952. My review is here.
12. Place in the title: The Man on the Boulevard – Georges Simenon, 1953. My review is here.
13. A crime other than murder: A Touch of Death – Charles Williams, 1954. My review is here.
14. Food or Cooks: 
15. Amateur detective: The Survivors - Georges Simenon. My review is here.
16. Someone else has already read for the challenge: A Sad Song Singing - Thomas E. Dewey. My review is here.
17. Translated Work: Maigret and the Reluctant Witnesses - Georges Simenon, 1959. My review is here.
18. Size in the title: Too Many Cousins - Douglas Browne, 1953. My review is here.
19. Locked Room mystery: The Case of the Crooked Candle - Erle Stanley Gardner, 1944. My review is here.
20. Author you’ve never read before: The Devil's Disciple - Hamao Shiro. My review is here
21. Man in the title: Bullets for the Bridegroom – David Dodge, 1948. My review is here.
22. A Professional detective: Murder Charge – Wade Miller, 1950. My review is here.
23. Short story collection: Pulp Fictions – editor, Peter Haining. Collection by Barnes and Noble Books, 1997. My review is here.
24; Medical mystery: The Case of the Fugitive Nurse - Erle Stanley Gardner, 1954. My review is here.
25. Academic mystery: A Question of Proof - Nicholas Blake. My review is here.
26. Method of murder in the title:
27. Country house murder:  The Hanging Captain – Henry Wade, 1933. My review is here.
28. Involves water:
29. Set in England:
30. pseudonym: Death before Bedtime – Gore Vidal writing as Edgar Box, 1953. My review is here.
31. Set in the entertainment world: The Case of the Restless Redhead - Erle Stanley Gardner, 1954. My review is here.
32; Woman in the title: The Case of the Hesitant Hostess – Erle Stanley Gardner, 1953. My review is here.
33:: Mode of transportation: The Passenger from Scotland Yard – H.E. Wood, 1888. My review is here.
34. Outside your comfort zone: The Sailcloth Shroud - Charles Williams, 1960. My review is here.
35: Have to borrow:
36. Set in the US:Playback - Raymond Chandler, 1958. My review is here.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Vintage Bingo Challenge! Glad to have you playing along with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the Bingo! And thanks so much for joining in. I've enjoyed taking a peek at the variety of books your read--I haven't had a lot of time for commenting this year, but I do look.

    ReplyDelete