Wednesday, April 1, 2015

TBR Checkpoint #1


I've read these books for the Mount TBR Reading Challenge hosted over at My Reader’s Block from January 1 – December 31, 2015. The challenge is to read books that you already own.
 

Bones of Contention – Edward Candy

Epitaph for a Lobbyist – R. B. Dominic

The Unknown Weapon – Andrew Forrester

Cecil N. De Mille: A Life in Art – Simon Louvish

Single & Single – John LeCarre

The Reluctant Art – Benny Green

Ghosts of the Carolinas – Nancy Roberts

What Jazz is All About – Lillian Erlich

The Painswick Line – Henry Cecil

Jazz in Short Measures – Lewis Rosengarten

1/ Who has been your favorite character so far? And tell us why, if you like.
The vicar in The Painswick Line did not have a large part, but he was always fun in his scenes. He was able to pick winning horses so everybody wanted to ingratiate themselves with him.

2/ Have any of the books you read surprised you--if so, in what way (not as good as anticipated? unexpected ending? Best thing you've read ever?
The jazz books were much more technical than I expected – and knowing nothing about music as a subject with its own terminology I felt out of my depth. As for fiction, Single & Single was much more engrossing than I thought it was going to be – I was able to finish it in  only a couple of days.

3/ Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest?
I think I had Cecil N. De Mille: A Life in Art for four years before I got around to it. It was worth the wait because Louvish is a very precise writer, with a humane point of view, good sense of movie history.

1 comment: