Monday, June 29, 2015

Mount TBR Checkpoint #2




I read these books for the Mount TBR Reading Challenge hosted over at My Reader’s Block from January 1 – December 31, 2015. The challenge is to read books that you already own.

Click on the date posted to go to my review.

11/ The Big Bow Mystery - Israel Zangwill

12/ Angry White Pajamas – Robert Twigger

13/ Houdini – William Lindsay Gresham

14/ Jazz in American Culture – Burton W. Peretti

15/ Charles Dickens – G. K. Chesterton

16/ The Warden – Anthony Trollope

17/ Barchester Towers – Anthony Trollope

18/ The Adventures of Gerard – Arthur Conan Doyle

19/ Best Ghost & Horror Stories – Bram Stoker

20/ The Poison Belt – Arthur Conan Doyle

A. Choose two titles from the books you've read so far that have a common link.
·         The Warden and Barchester Towers are also linked because they are #1 and #2 of the six-book Barsetshire Chronicles.
·         The Adventures of Gerard (historical fiction) and The Poison Belt (science fiction) are both adventure stories that the author wrote when he was tired of Sherlock Holmes.
·         Houdini and Jazz in American Culture are linked because I am interested in the history of popular entertainment.

 B. Tell us about a book on the list that was new to you in some way--new author, about a place you've never been, a genre you don't usually read...etc.
I don’t usually read horror stories because I’m squeamish. So Stoker’s story “The Duellists” –cold-blooded thrill murder, told in a jaunty tone – got to me, rather.

 C. Which book (read so far) has been on your TBR mountain the longest? Was it worth the wait?
I think Angry White Pajamas was on my shelf for four or five years. It was worth the wait. Twigger is a smart English guy and they often write pretty well.

1 comment:

  1. Great-looking list! I'm going to sneak over and take a peek at your Poison Belt review. I read that one last year, so I'm interested to see what you thought.

    ReplyDelete