Thursday, February 11, 2016

Snappy Sayings for Bookish People

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."  and "I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book."  Groucho Marx

"Never judge a book by its movie." -J. W. Eagan

"If you have never said 'Excuse me' to a parking meter or bashed your shins on a fireplug, you are probably wasting too much valuable reading time." Sherri Chasin Calvo

"To my daughter Leonora without whose never-failing sympathy and encouragement this book would have been finished in half the time." - P.G. Wodehouse

Bookish Young Man: Do you like Kipling?

Demure Sweetie: I don't know, you naughty boy,  I've never kipled.

From Punch, a British humor mag of days gone by

"If you've only ever read one book in your life, then I strongly suggest you keep your mouth shut." Simon Munnery

"This novel is not to be tossed lightly aside, but to be hurled with great force." Dorothy Parker

"You can't judge an apple by lookin' at the tree

You can't judge honey by lookin' at the bee

You can't judge a daughter by lookin' at the mother

You can't judge a book by lookin' at the cover!"

Bo Diddley

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." Mark Twain (attributed)

No comments:

Post a Comment