Thursday, August 15, 2019

The Ides of Perry Mason 3

The 15th of every month until I don't know when I will post a review of a Perry Mason mystery. For the hell of it.

The Case of the Reluctant Model - Erle Stanley Gardner

Millionaire collector of pictures Otto Olney wants to sue art maven Colin Durant for slander, claiming that Durant is saying that a painting purchased by Olney is a fake.

Lawyer-series hero Perry Mason discourages the slander suit but provides his usual sage legal advice. He later realizes that Durant might be plotting an intricate scam with the coerced help of model Maxine Lindsay. Maxine ends up in trouble deep after Mason and Della Street find a body in Maxine's apartment and Maxine nowhere to be found. DA Burger and Homicide Detective Lt. Tragg are not amused that Mason keeps finding corpses.

I liked this one because it did not follow the lockstep stages of a typical Mason novel. Also, I clearly shouldn’t read too many Mason novels because Gardner’s antique Americanisms – “no doubt of it on earth” or “take a powder” or “the shank of the evening” or “as dead as a mackerel” -  seep into my vocabulary and make 50-something women at work say wonderingly to me, “You sound like my dad.”

No comments:

Post a Comment