Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Mount TBR #7


I read this book for Mount TBR Reading Challenge 2019.

Love in the Time of Cholera – Gabriel García Márquez

This engrossing novel explores love as in young romantic love, the love of the long-time married, love and ageing, unrequited love, love and anger, love and fear, and love and death. At first I felt embarrassed because I could not tell if the story was set in Central America or South America but then I realized settings are irrelevant because different aspects of love manifest anywhere and everywhere. Also, this amazing work is about smelliest novel I’ve ever read, with references from aromas to stenches on about every other page. This starts on in the incredible first line of the novel: “It was inevitable: the scent of bitter almonds always reminded him of the fate of unrequited love.” I recommend this novel whole-heartedly. Other themes - rivers, animals, cages, etc. -  were so compelling that I read it even after I came home from work at 9:00 p.m., something I am usually too tired to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment