Sunday, October 7, 2018

Mount TBR October Check-in

I read this book for the Mount TBR 2018 Reading Challenge.

I've read only 25 out of my goal of 48. The classics challenge has really taken up my reading time: Classic Crimes, Brave New World Revisited, Shakespeare, Mansfield Park, and A Study in Scarlet

My favorite character so far has been Bertha Cool in Bats Fly at Dusk, a mystery by Erle Stanley Gardner writing as A.A. Fair. I was shocked that a publisher rejected the second Cool/Lam novel, The Knife Slipped, on the grounds that Bertha was too unlikable. In fact, not being a good egg or a toughie with a heart of gold make her a great whodunnit series character.

As for opposites in reading, let's go for city and country. The Trail to Ogallala was about a cattle drive and virtually all the others were set in cities. Curious, I should do something about the urban/rural divide in my reading.

At least the western was the longest one I read; I don't like doorstop mysteries. It was a western I would suggest even to people who think they don't like westerns.

The Trail to Ogallala lead me to Lord Mullion’s Secret about The Case of the Black-eyed Blonde. Her Bats Fly at Dusk over The Power House, pointing out The Corpse in the Snowman, a Freak that teaches The Simple Art of Murder to Women Sleuths who use dangerous knowledge for professional development.

Click the date to go to the review.

The Trail to Ogallala – Benjamin Capps
Posted: July 13

Lord Mullion’s Secret – Michael Innes
Posted: July 25

The Case of the Black-eyed Blonde – Erle Stanley Gardner
Posted: July 31

Bats Fly at Dusk – Erle Stanley Gardner writing as A.A. Fair
Posted: August 12

The Power House – William Haggard
Posted: August 20

The Corpse in the Snowman – Nicholas Blake
Posted: August 28

Freak - Michael Collings
Posted: September 5

The Simple Art of Murder – Raymond Chandler
Posted: September 13

Women Sleuths - Various
Posted: September 25

1 comment:

  1. Hope to see you on the mountain. I am a little bit ahead of you with 37 books. Have given in to newer books, and most of them borrowed. The bulk on my TBR shelves are going very slowly down. Have to speed up to make the 48 books by December.

    ReplyDelete